Welcome to my online catalogs!
Here you will find my most recent e-catalogs and also some specialty catalogs.
Just click on the title and browse…catalogs may take a few seconds to load, please be patient.
All books are in very good or better condition unless otherwise noted. To see the cover of any book, please ask and I will send you a scan by email.
Most recent e-catalog:
#70 Le Petit la Fontaine. Paris: Marcilly, . $375. SOLD
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
France is not only known for its magnificent minuscule almanacs, their slightly larger miniature books are also of superb beauty and workmanship. Le Petit la Fontaine is a charming book of twenty fables collected by Jean de la Fontaine (1621-1695). It has seven engraved plates including the title page (shown above). In one of his catalogs, Louis Bondy called it “an exceptionally pretty miniature edition”. Nearly 200 years old, this complete copy is in remarkable condition and still possesses its original matching slipcase. The text is French, of course. Executed with great care by Firmin Didot, the type is clear and exquisite.
Other antiquarian offerings in the attached catalog include:
- Two charming children’s books by Aunt Laura (#24 & 25)
- Several religious books (#13, 14, 15, 40, 41, 101)
- A handsome leather-bound English dictionary by Bryce, less than 2” tall and very readable (#29)
- Two Hazeltine almanacs (#37 & 38)
- Children’s book on famous royalty (#46) and a French children’s prayer book (#67)
- Twenty-four tales of love in prose and poetry (#91)
- Two-volume set of Pickerings (#100)
Other particularly interesting items include a modern manuscript (#36), a Japanese stab-bound book with illustrations of old Tokyo (#56), a “shape” book (#42), a book of erotica (#26), a leather bookcase with 5 little leather-bound books (#39), and a book bound in old German currency (#55).
Specialty Catalogs by Publisher: