Welcome to my online catalogs!
Here you will find my most recent e-catalogs and also some specialty catalogs.
Just click on the title and browse…catalogs may take a few seconds to load, please be patient.
All books are in very good or better condition unless otherwise noted. To see the cover of any book, please ask and I will send you a scan by email.
Most recent e-catalog:
#13 Schloss’s English Bijou Almanac for 1841. London, England: Albert Schloss, 1840. $850.
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Almanacs are sometimes overlooked by collectors but some are of considerable literary and artistic interest. The tiny almanacs published by Albert Schloss between 1836 and 1843 are of exceptional quality and beauty – true miracles of engraving, illustration, binding and presentation. Schloss’s English Bijou Almanac for 1841, shown above, has five portraits plus an engraved view of Caernarvon Castle. The six poems that accompany the engravings are by the Hon. Mrs. Norton, poetess and social reformer. This minute almanac, only ¾” high, is bound in gilt black leather (both covers and the spine) and has a pictorial paper slipcase. The hinged leather box is fully lined in velvet and satin and it holds a tiny tortoiseshell magnifier. All in fine condition.
The Schloss almanacs were designed for affluent ladies and they are the smallest English almanacs in the world.
Catalog 89 offers several other special items:
- #19 is Carmina Sapphica published by the Bromers. This 2nd edition of Horace’s songs is presented with its very descriptive prospectus in a morocco-backed clamshell box. A handsome item. SOLD
- #33 is the last book illustrated by Alfred Mills in a series of 10 children’s books – a first edition of Portraits of the Sovereigns of England published by Darton, Harvey & Darton, and J. Harris in 1817.
- #34 – 40 are seven volumes of Shakespeare published by David Bryce in 1904, in various colors of limp leather. These lovely books feature ornately decorated spines; gilt titles are also on the front covers.
- #47, 48 and 72 – 75 are fine examples of French books published by Firmin and Marcilly, all with highly decorative plaques on the front covers of ivory, bone or brass.
- #61 is the Cabinet of Lilliput by J. Harris; the original box with 9 of the original children’s books. SOLD
- #71 is Bay Bridges in a Nutshell by Dorothy Yule, a tiny ¾” pop-up book housed in a walnut shell. SOLD
My entire inventory is now listed on this website. Scroll down this page to see books listed by publisher. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see listings by category, such as “Antiquarian Books” or “Children’s Books” or “Books About Books”.
Specialty Catalogs by Publisher:
Borrower’s Press NEW!
Specialty Catalogs by Category:
Antiquarian Books NEW!